Home Alterations

Private householders can undertake alterations inside their house. Any alterations other than painting in identical colours, and any repairs or works to the outside of your property FIRST needs the permission of the Duchy of Cornwall before work starts. This includes plans to permanently change the use of a garage(s) thus preventing primary use for parking a car (Stipulation 12). Read the Poundbury Design & Community Code published by the Duchy which will answer many questions about permitted works. Include as much information and photos as possible in your request. Any subsequent need for scaffolding or skip hire please put a request through the reporting section of this website. You will be advised whether the request is managed by the MANCO or the Duchy, dependent on the location.

IF you are advised it is a MANCO permit required, then please select a form below:

Print the form and fill in the information requested. SEND all forms by scanning and attaching to a normal MANCO Report Form OR advise the MANCO of your address where we may pick up the completed form manually.

Some external alterations will also require Planning Permission and/or Building Regulation as well as Duchy approval. Application for Duchy approval must be submitted either by letter to: Duchy of Cornwall, Poundbury Farmhouse, Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 3RT OR by email to poundbury@duchyofcornwall.org

Breaches of the Stipulations could result in enforcement action and may prejudice the sale of individual properties.

Some examples of home alterations that will require Duchy permission include:

  • Changing paint colour
  • Sheds and greenhouses
  • Replacement windows
  • Porches
  • Garage doors
  • Woodchip boilers
  • Pergolas
  • Alarm boxes
  • Gas flues
  • Additional railings
  • Driveway replacement
  • Removal or trimming of trees(where they have been planted by previous planning)
  • Painting of render
  • Solar panels
  • Conservatories/orangeries